Friday, July 24, 2009

Rehoboth Beach

Our friends, the Thibaudeaus, spent a week at their neighbor's beach house in Rehoboth this summer, and they invited us to come down for a few days. I had wanted to get the boys to the beach, and this seemed like the perfect opportunity. So we packed up our swimsuits and beach toys and headed to the beach! The first night we got there, we took the kids to ride go-carts. I had never been in a go-cart before- they're a lot of fun! Sean giggled the whole time. Rex was big enough that he could drive some of the smaller ones all by himself. It's a good thing the track wasn't crowded- he had to sit down so far to reach the pedals that he could barely see where he was going. He did great until it was time to stop. No one had thought to tell him where the brake was. The poor attendant was nearly run over as he tried to bring the cart back to the starting area. I made a mental note to make sure I show him the brake pedal in eleven years when he starts driving a real car.











The next day was cloudy and rainy in the morning, so instead of hitting the beach, we went miniature golfing. The kids had a lot of fun, even if they did cheat the whole way through.






Afterwards, we headed to Fun Land, which is a little amusement park on the Rehoboth Boardwalk. The Pirate Ship was a big hit. Sean broke out into tears every time we rode it...not because he was scared, but because he was mad when the ride was over and he had to get off! I learned that five times is my limit on the Pirate Ship before my lunch starts to reappear in my throat. I think Sean would still be riding it if we let him. Luckily, he also enjoyed "flying" the airplanes:




That night, we hit the outlets. No trip to Rehoboth is complete without tax-free outlet shopping. I'm a sucker for a bargain. I was excited to visit the new Kate Spade outlet. I will spare you the details, but suffice it to say, I wasn't disappointed. The kids were easily entertained as they waited.




The next day, we finally made it to the beach. The boys had fun splashing in the waves a bit, but they spent most of their time playing in the sand.




Michael spent his time digging a huge hole for the kids to play in. Then he kept them busy by making them fill it back in again.




And don't worry, Michael was very careful to dig the hole in tiers so it wouldn't collapse on anyone. He is an engineer after all.




Jack's first trip to the beach was pretty uneventful. He slept most of the time, and when he was awake, he preferred people watching to playing in the waves. The water was a little too chilly for his liking, but he loved eating the sand!




We were having such a nice time, but alas, it was time to come back home. It was a nice little get-away, but I’m thinking a longer beach trip will be in our plans for next year! I should have all the sand cleaned out of my van by then.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the beach also. Great pictures


Ella