Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Something's Got To Give






Okay, so we have been home from vacation for a few weeks now. Rex still complains every day about having "no friends to play with". Sean just isn't quite playmate material yet, so I am still the number one (and only) choice when it comes to finding someone to play with at home. It has been especially hard this week since preschool is closed for summer maintenance and we have the whole week off (and thus no friends to play with at school, either). I feel bad for the kid, but to give you an idea of what I have been through, just today alone I was a pretend truck driver, a race car driver, a police officer, a construction worker, a doctor, and a sick patient. And that was all before lunch. After lunch, I convinced Rex to play with his shadow. That amused him for almost twenty minutes, and then his shadow wouldn't share with him, so that was the end of that. Then I became a helicopter pilot. I love playing with children- I truly do- that's why I love working in preschool, and I generally spend a lot of time playing with the kids each day anyway, but Rex used to be able to amuse himself for an hour or so each day during which time (if Sean is napping) I could do some dishes, or start some laundry, or (gasp) check some email. He has completely lost the ability to do that. And to top things off- he's been really grumpy lately, so he's not even a fun playmate most of the time! I'm never taking him on vacation with other children again! (N0- not really- I'm just being melodramatic- he had so much fun!). But Aunt Mindi just might be getting a 3'6", 35 lb package from UPS soon. Did I mention that Daddy has been busy obsessing, I mean working on, the plans for the addition we're adding to our house in a few weeks? (Honestly- better him than me!) That means that in addition to playtime, I still have to cook dinner, feed two children, bathe two children, read stories to two children, and put two children to bed. Luckily, the neighbor girls are spending the afternoon here tomorrow, so I get a day off from playtime. (I'm free!! I'm free!!) And I have a date with the Robert Andrews Day Spa on Saturday for a mani, pedi, and massage. I CAN'T WAIT!
Sean, on the other hand, has been wonderful lately. He had surgery on Monday to have tubes put in his ears. He is recovering very well. It's such a quick procedure. His appointment was for 7:10 am, and I had him back home by 8:3o am. The doctor said they removed a lot of fluid from his ears, so he should be able to hear better now. (I didn't say he would listen, just that he can hear). He is also starting to toddle around a little bit. He took his first steps at the beach, and practices around the house sometimes, but still prefers crawling for a faster mode of transportation. As you can see in the picture, he has lots of fun rocking on the little bike Aunt Deb and Uncle Harry got him for his birthday! He really gets that thing rocking!! His new favorite pastime is splashing in the miniature swimming pool we have in the kitchen (also known as the dog's water bowl). I have to keep putting it out of reach (poor Kaleigh gets neglected again), and he still goes after it! I love the look of "What?" on his face. He's something. All of his hard work just wears him out. They're all angels when they're sleeping, aren't they?

2 comments:

The Kiser's said...

Glad Sean is feeling better. Hope Rex starts to amuse himself again soon!

Kevin left instructions for video posting on your previous post - just wanted to make sure you saw them. Good luck with it. I'm not sure how to post video myself.

Jeantaylor said...

Loved your pictures and comments. Men who don't appreciate what stay at home mom's do should be shot. You are working morning to night and sometimes all night. It doesn't matter that you love your work, it is great to love your job. These times will pass quickly so enjoy when you can. Love you. Aunt Jean