Monday, August 27, 2007

First Day of School



Today was the first day of the new school year at preschool. Rex started in his new classroom, and Sean had his first day in his new class as well. Until this point, Sean hung out in the office with me. It was a little weird walking down the hall today without him on my hip. It was kind of sad. But I think he will really enjoy being with other kids. He is the youngest in his class, and he cried all morning long (luckily I only work from 9-1), but I am hopeful that this will turn out to be a very good thing for him. He is so attached to me- it is good for him to learn to trust other people as well. But it breaks my heart to see him so sad. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. Rex had a good first day, although he misses his old teachers. I think he will like his new teacher once he gets to know her (she is new to the school), but it takes him a while to warm up to new people. He is in a room with 19 other three year olds. That's 19 kids to play with- but also 19 kids he has to share and take turns with. Should be interesting. His new teacher is from Peru, so I am hoping she will teach him lots of Spanish. I've tried- but all I have accomplished is Rex's new ability to make up words. I try to incorporate Spanish into our everyday routine. ("We call this milk, but in Spanish it is called leche.") Now Rex thinks he can just string a few different syllables together and he has a new word for something. In reality- he is speaking pure jibberish. Today he asked me if I wanted some jobberflocky. Yesterday, he told me his schnagerplaster was broken. He is quite proud of himself. I have no idea what the hell he is talking about. It is very frustrating at times, but at other times I just have to sniggle. I mean laugh.

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Well I can relate to ole Rex. I use to make up words all of the time!! One that comes to mind is "drawer" which I would call a "geronimous". I hope that today goes better for Sean, I'm sure he's gonna end up loving it.

Emily said...

How cute they both look. Rex looks pretty excited to go to school. Hope Sean's adjusting well.

Maria said...

I can't get over how big Rex is, I feel like just yesterday you were pregnant with him. Hope Sean is doing well with the rest of his week at school.